How do I submit a classified ad?

Ads are for Club Members and sponsored guests. Ads are submitted to the Web Master at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Can we exchange links?

Our webpage is currently in its final stages of construction and we don’t as yet have a links page. If you would like to link to our page please email the Web Master for permission.

Why can’t I get into the Member’s Section?

Certain parts of the website are for members only and are closed to the public.

How do I submit updates or changes to my Members Page?

Email any corrections, changes, or updates to the Web Master at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

How do I submit pictures?

Picture for classified ads and member pages should be submitted by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as an attachment.


Why should I join a club or Association?

To preserve our right to access to public lands, we must be represented. Representation starts with club and association membership.

How can I report land use?

Roads remain open by using them. In order for road use to count land managers must know that the road is being used. You can report road use to land managers by using the handy form on the Cal4Wheel website, which you can find at http://cal4wheel.com/.

How can I help?

Start by joining your local club or association. Then stay on top of land access issues. Write letters, make phone calls and talk to land managers and elected officials. Then get out and VOTE! And above all conduct yourself in a credible manner at all times when out on the road.

How can I keep up with all the changes?

Nearly all associations and coalitions have Action Alert email lists. Get on one. Better yet get on several, there is a lot going on and the more we are involved the better our chances to retain access to public lands.


Who are the Gear Grinders?

We are a family oriented 4 Wheel Drive Club who enjoy using our vehicles to explore the great outdoors. We are comprised of families, singles, grandparents, military and civilians. Although we are mostly Jeeps, we are NOT a Jeep Club. All makes and models of 4 wheel drive vehicles are welcome. We are Jeeps, Toyotas, Chevrolets, and Fords (we even have a Lexus!).

Where are the Gear Grinders?

We are in Ridgecrest, Ca. about 100 miles east of Bakersfield, in Indian Wells Valley, in the northern Mojave Desert. We are surrounded by the Sierra Nevada to the west, the Coso to the north, the Slate to the east, and the El Paso to the south. Not far (about 30 miles) to east is Panamint Valley site of the Cal4Wheel event “Panamint Valley Days”.

My 4X4 is stock, may I still come along?

Of course! We try to have runs for every skill level and vehicle type. Not all runs are suitable for all vehicles; please check with the Trail Boss when you RSVP for vehicle requirements.
What equipment is required?
We require that the vehicle driver hold a valid driving license, and that they be insured to the state minimums. We also require that all run participants have at least the following safety equipment: seatbelts for all vehicle occupants, a roll bar for all soft top vehicles, a tow strap of sufficient strength , and adequate attach points, a jack capable of lifting your vehicle, a shovel, a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, and a spare tire.

What kinds of runs do you go on?

We have runs of pretty much every description, from mild to wild, historical and scenic. We explore areas in the desert and the mountains of the Sierra Nevada, Death Valley, Panamint Valley, Searles Valley, and beyond.


How do I become a member?

The Gear Grinders feel that it is important that we fit together, so we like to get to know you and let you get to know us before considering membership. So we require that you be at least 18 years of age and attend at least two Club sponsored trips (in your own vehicle) and two meetings within a six month period to become eligible for membership. There are annual dues of $60.00 that includes membership in the California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs. Membership includes all members of the immediate family.

How do I maintain membership?

Members are expected to attend at least 3 meetings and 3 trips every year.
Members must remain current with their dues.

Do I have to join CA4WDC?

Yes. The Gear Grinders are a member club and as such all club members will be members of Cal4Wheel.

I don’t want to join. Can’t I just go wheelin’?

Today’s political climate just doesn’t allow one to just go wheelin’ anymore. Green Advocacy Groups (GAGs) are very active in their effort to exclude us from access to public lands. Our only recourse is to be just as active. This begins with membership in your local club, regional association, and national coalitions. We welcome guests but encourage membership for regular participants.

Gear Grinders 4 Wheel Drive Club  2016  Unified Designs