We began as a loose-knit group of 4-wheeling families, calling themselves at first, the “Indian Wells 4WD Club” and the “High Desert 4-Wheelers”.
While on an outing in Saline Valley in October of 1971, they decided to become an official club and join the California Association of 4WD Clubs.
In December of 1971 they had their first official meeting and elections.
FIRST ELECTED OFFICERS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
• President: Dean Karlberg • Clyde Burton
• 1st Vice-President: Frank Stevens • Dave Perry
• 2nd Vice-President: Noel Gravell • Bob Windhardt
• Secretary: Jan Felsen
• Treasurer: Wanda Tabb
Public service activities have included:
- Johnny Horizon cleanups in co-operation with CORL and the BLM.
- Supporting Ridgecrest Improvement Committee’s Fund Raising Dinner.
- Assisting in forming foundations and framing the same committee’s building at the Golf Center project.
- Provided vehicles and drivers for the California State Department of Parks and Recreation Tour of Red Rock Canyon.
- Sponsored public meeting for the BLM on the subject of land closures in the desert.
- In the past we have participated in the Adopt-a-Trail program with the BLM, Forest Service, and National Park Service. Our current roads include the Eureka/Saline Corridor with Death Valley National Park and a co-adoption of the Sherman Pass 4X4 Road with the Bakersfield Trailblazers with the Sequoia National Forest.
- Active participants in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life!
- Participated in the First Annual Alabama Hills Day 2012 sponsored by the Alabama Hills stewardship group.